It's not uncommon for travelers and expats to bring electronics and appliances with them overseas. The dilemma is, of course, why ACUPWR is in business: the difference in voltage and power standards around the world. We solve international voltage differences with high-quality voltage transformers and power converters. Whether you want to use a 120-volt microwave oven in a country with a 220-240-volt standard, or you want to move something much bigger overseas, like a refrigerator or freezer, ACUPWR has you covered.

ACUPWR's line of voltage transformers and power converters are available in different wattage sizes, from 100 watts to 2500 watts, and they'll accommodate the wattage consumption of most consumer appliances and electronics. Still, consumers aren't experts about things like wattage, nor should they need to be.

To that end, we've provided some charts below to help you determine the wattage requirements of your appliance (or appliances) and hence the wattage requirements for your ACUPWR transformer.

If you are moving with more than one appliance and using a single ACUPWR transformer for all of them, you need to calculate the total running (continuous) wattage of those items. Keep in mind that if you plan to use a global surge protector (GSP), it should be the ACUPWR AS6WWK model. Using another manufacturer's GSP will void the ACUPWR warranty.

Another great resource is the website, which allows users to enter a product specifically by manufacturer and model number. 

PDF version:


Here are some tips for using these charts: 

Step One: 
Make sure that your appliance is single voltage. Dual voltage devices simply require a plug adapter

Step Two: 
Determine the wattage of your device.

In order to do this, simply look for the “W” on your device’s label. This will help you determine which transformer you need. If the device is 300 watts, then you will need to buy a transformer that is also 300 watts.

Other companies state that the voltage transformer’s maximum power should be equal to or greater than the power rating of your appliance multiplied by two. By that logic, an appliance rated at 100 watts would require a transformer with a maximum power of 150 watts or greater. When you choose an ACUPWR power converter, you don’t have to play that game. Our transformers are safe for continuous use at 120% of the stated wattage, so you don’t have to buy a higher wattage than what you need.  

Step Three: 

In the U.S. and Canada (and many Caribbean islands), the voltage standard is 110-120 volts. If you’re traveling to another part of the world where the voltage is 220-240 volts – which is actually the norm in most countries – and you plan on taking a 120-volt appliance, you will need a step-down voltage transformer. A step-down transformer can convert 220-240 volts down to 110-120. You will need a step-down transformer if you’re traveling to any country with a power standard that is higher than what your appliances use.

Conversely, taking appliances that run on 220-110 volts to the U.S. or Canada requires a step-up voltage transformer that can convert 110-120 volts up to 220-240. You will need a step-up transformer if you’re traveling to any country with a power standard that is lower than what your appliances use.

It’s important to remember that although the world runs primarily on 220-240 volts, and North America uses 110-120 volts, other voltage standards exist. Japan uses 100 volts, for example, while Mexico, Brazil, Suriname, and Curacao use 127-130. It seems random but, hey, that’s how it is. Visit to see a complete list of countries and their corresponding voltage standards and plug types. To learn more, check out our blog post on the history of power standards and plug types!

ACUPWR makes step-up and step-down voltage transformers for use in every country. We also make our step-down ADC and step-up AUC series to be used with refrigerators, freezers, and wine coolers. These models allow you to use your fridge around the world. The ADC model series can convert voltage from 220-240 volts down to 110-120 volts and convert 50 Hz up to 60 Hz. The AUC model series, on the other hand, converts 110-120 volts up to 220-240 volts and converts 60 Hz to 50 Hz. Shop our collection today to find the model series you need!

Heading: ACUPWR’s voltage transformers include:

If you don’t see the particular model you need, we can personally help you in your search and make a customized voltage transformer specifically to meet your needs. For customers within the continental U.S., call us at 888-600-9770 between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. For international customers, call 414-255-8462 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Standard Time. You can also live chat with us on this website 24/7, or email us at